As we approach the holiday/winter season, we typically hear from people and/or organizations who want to help families in need. We’re always touched by the generosity of our community and want to help ensure support is given where needed. Below you will find local resources for those in need and those interested in making donations. Most of these resources are available throughout the year. Please know this is not an exhaustive list. If there is a local resource you would like us to include in the future, please let us know.
For Those in Need:
● T.R.A.C.K. (Tomorrow River Area Community Kitchen): Food assistance
● Project Backpack: Eligible students receive a bag of food to take home for the weekend during the school year. Contact your school counselor to sign up.
● Holiday Basket Project: Provides food and/or gifts for low income and working poor families.
● Kid’s Closet: Provides free clothing to children in need, everyone welcome, no income requirements or questions asked. One bag per child per month.
● One Big Tent: Based on building relationship and helping one another, a collaboration of area churches have come together to provide a location for neighbors who are seeking assistance by helping them get connected with community resources. Phone: 715-496-9309 or 715-496-9312
● Peace of Mind Portage County: Provides information about mental wellness services, laws, and related news, as well as communication tools and other features.
● Family Crisis Center - Youth and family services
● Salvation Army- Short term emergency shelter, housing assistance, food pantry, etc.
● Winter weather clothing needed- reach out to your school counselor.
● For other needs not listed above, please reach out to your school counselors. Perhaps we can help!
● T.R.A.C.K.: Donation needs
● Holiday Basket Project: Provides food and/or gifts for low income and working poor families. As a sponsor, you also coordinate delivering the food and/or gifts. Contact the Holiday Basket Office at (715) 344-9950 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Evergreen Community Initiatives: The Kid’s Closet, Warming Center, Tree Huggers, etc.
● One Big Tent: Donate Online or if you wish to become a companion (a neighbor who listens and helps another neighbor navigate resources and create a pathway forward), then please simply email your interest to: email@example.com.
● Salvation Army- The Salvation Army appreciates donations of lightly-worn clothing. Clean, usable clothing may be donated to the Hope Center. Space is limited so please call ahead (715) 341-2437.
● 4-H Hat/Glove/Mitten Donation Tree at the International Bank of Amherst: Beginning in late November, you may drop off items for the Donation Tree at IBA.
● Falcon Fund: This fund is used to help families in need offset costs of school activities, fees, etc. If you would like to donate specifically for children in need of winter clothing, please put “winter wear” in the check memo. Please make checks out to “Falcon Fund” (with “winter wear” written in the Memo) and mail to: TRSD Attn: Merry Dudley, 357 North Main St., Amherst, WI 54406
Please feel free to reach out to the school counselors if you have any questions.
Shelley Swanson, Amherst High School Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Berdan, Amherst Middle School Counselor - email@example.com
Kathleen Cibaric, Amherst Elementary School Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org